Tiwa Savage’s Biography
A prominent singer, songwriter, performer and recording artist, Tiwa Savage was born Tiwatope Savage on 5 February 1980 in Ikeja, Lagos State. Tiwa’s passion for music and performance art sprang up at a tender age of 11 while a student at a high school. At the time, she was playing trombone for her school’s orchestra group. During this period, Tiwa was living in England with her parents who later moved to the United States. After graduating from the University, she worked at the Royal Bank of Scotland. But the Nigerian music artist wanted more; she wanted to explore her talent. So this prompted her to enroll at the Berklee College of Music. Coming out of the music school at 27, Tiwa did vocals for many popular artists such as Mary J Blige, Emma Bunton, Kelly Clarkson to mention a few. She has also performed on stage alongside household names in the international music scene: The Black Eyed Peas, Eminem, 50 Cents, Robbie Williams and Destiny’s Child. In 2009, Tiwa Savage was into a music deal by Sony/ATV Music Publishing. Based on this deal Tiwa wrote many songs for several artists which became a hit. She has also written songs for a Grammy award-winning artist. In addition to this, she has written songs featuring Snoop Dogg, also Akon. She also did a song on Whitney Houston’s hit, ‘I Look to You’. After a remarkable breakthrough having joined Don Jazzy’s Mavin Records, she started her own record label, which she called 323 Entertainment. Then the major break for her came when she released her much awaited debut album entitled Once Upon a Time. She has signed an endorsement deal with several popular corporate brands such as Pepsi, MTN Nigeria, Forte Oil and Maggi.
Genre: Afropop, R&B and Soul
After studying Business Administration at the University of Kent, she further went to study professional music at the Berklee College of Music.
- ‘Ife Wa Gbona’
- ‘Kele Kele Love’
Albums including year released:
- R.E.D (2015)
- One Upon a Time (2013)
- Solar Plexus (2012)
- (Best Collabo Song) 2015 COSSON Song Awards
- (Best Reggae/Dancehall Single) 2014 Headies Awards
- (Most Gifted Female) 2014 Channel O Music Awards
- (Female Artist of the Year) 2014 Nigerian Entertainment Awards
- (Best Pop/R&B of the Year) 2014 Nigerian Entertainment Awards
- (Best Female West Africa) 2014 African Muzik Magazine Awards
- (Musician of the Year) 2014 City People Entertainment Awards
- (Best Female) 2014 MTV Africa Music Awards
- (Best Highlife) 2012 Nigerian Music Video Awards
- (Most Gifted R&B Music Video of the Year) 2012 Channel O Music Video Awards
- (Female Musician of the Year) 2011 City People Entertainment Awards
- (Best R&B Soul Song) 2011 Afrotainment Museke Online Music Awards
- (Most Stylish Female Artiste) 2011 FAB Magazine Awards
- (Most Promising Act) 2011 Dynamix All Youth Awards
At the 2014 edition of the Headies Awards, Tiwa who performed on stage with Patoranking was hugely criticized by fans and music lovers. In the performance, Tiwa was criticized of making lewd movements with Patoranking. The picture showing the Mavin Record’s star’s backside glued to the reggae singer’s front in a dangerously rhythmic manner was sad to be highly controversial and questionable. Many claimed that it was glaring that Tiwa was romancing the reggae star on stage. Others however, saw no big deal in the act as it was just normal music cum dance performance.
In April 2016, Tiwa Savage’s marriage broke down with lover and former manager Tee Billz. There were rumours that she was cheating with her fellow artiste; Tuface, Don jazzy and Dr Sid. She has however debunked all the claims of her infidelity and she accused her former lover of many wrong doings as well.
Tiwa Savage on Facebook: Tiwasavage
Tiwa Savage on Twitter: @TiwaSavage
Tiwa Savage on Youtube: officialtiwasavage
Tiwa Savage on Instagram: @officialtiwasavage
Tiwa Savage on Snapchat:
Get more news about Tiwa Savage here