How to apply neem for head lice removal?
Neem paste is more effective than neem oil. It retains most of the medicinal values and removes the lice and also kills the nits.
- Gather fresh neem leaves. (choose the matured neem leaves; they are more effective than the baby leaves)
- Grind the neem leaves into a fine paste by adding a few drops of water.
- Alternatively, you can boil the neem leaves and then make a paste
- The paste should be fluffy and soft. Coarse or uneven paste makes it difficult to apply.
- Make sure the hair is free from tangles
- Apply the neem paste.
- Ensure that the neem paste covers all the hair properly, including the length of the hair.
- Tie the hair and wrap in a thin towel.
- Let it stay for 2-3 hours.
- Rinse the hair and wash the hair with mild shampoo.
- You can also use shikakai to clean the hair
- In a single wash, you can remove most of the matured and baby lice.
- Apply neem paste at least 2-3 times a week until all the lice are removed
- If you can tolerate the aroma of the neem oil, you can buy the neem oil from the stores.
- You can also make neem oil by boiling dried neem leaves in mustard oil or coconut oil.
- Apply neem oil to hair and scalp
- Wear a head cover or wrap the head at night and go to bed.
- The oil should stay for a minimum of 4 hours.
- Wash the hair
- Wet comb the hair and remove the lice.
How to use sweet flag for head lice?
Sweet flag is available in many stores selling Ayurvedic and natural medicines. It can be used in two ways, sweet flag paste and sweet flag smoked powder.
Sweet flag paste:
- Soak the dry rhizome in milk for 5 minutes.
- Rub the rhizome on a stone and extract the paste.
- Apply the paste on the scalp and hair.
- Tie the hair and wash it off after 2 hours.
Sweet flag smoked powder:
This is one of the time-tested remedies for head lice and healthy hair.
- Burn the dry rhizome by directly placing the stick on the fire. You can use candle or gas stove flame. ( Additional tip: Inhaling the smoke of the sweet flag clears the sinus block and enhances the respiratory function)
- Once it is fully burned, you can easily break the rhizome into small pieces and crush them into soft powder. When it could be done easily, you know you have burned it to the right degree. Make a fine powder out of it.
- Alternatively, you can also grind the smoked rhizome into fine soft powder.
- Add sesame oil or virgin coconut oil to the powder. One part powder can be mixed with two parts oil.
- The smoked powder will dissolve in the oil and the color of the oil will become turbo black.
- You can use it as regular hair oil or apply the oil before you take bath.
- The oil kills the lice and nits. It protects the hair against lice infestation.
For best result, you should use a nit comb to remove the nits from the hair.
Read more: This is How to Get Rid of Head Lice Easily