We are sharing the most popular recipe here as prepared by top food blogger. It is quite easy to prepare if you follow the simple steps. Coconut Rice and Mixed Vegetable Jollof Rice are other types of Jollof rice.
Nigerian Jollof Rice Ingredient
- 3 cigar cups | 750g long grain parboiled rice
- Tomato Stew 500 mls
- Chicken (whole chicken, drumsticks or chicken breast)
- Pepper and salt (to taste)
- 2 medium onions
- 3 Knorr cubes
- 2 teaspoons thyme
- 2 teaspoons curry powder (Nigerian curry powder)
Preparing your Jollof Rice Ingredient
- Prepare the tomato stew. Visit the Tomato Stew page for details on how to do that. It is advisable to prepare tomato stew before hand and keep in the freezer. This is so that whenever you want to cook any jollof rice related dish, it is just a matter of adding it to your cooking.
- If you will use whole chicken then wash and cut it into pieces. Cook with the thyme, Knorr cubes and 2 bulbs of onions (chopped). The cooking time depends on the type of chicken. The rooster or cockerel cooks much faster than the hen but the hen is definitely tastier. When done, grill it in an oven. You may also fry it. This is to give it a golden look which is more presentable especially if you have guests for dinner.
- Parboil the rice using the method detailed in parboiling rice for cooking jollof rice. Rinse the parboiled rice and put in a sieve to drain.
Direction for cooking Nigerian Jollof Rice
- Pour the chicken stock and the tomato stew into a sizeable pot and leave to boil.
- Add the drained parboiled rice, curry powder, salt and pepper to taste. The water level should be the same level of the rice. This is to ensure that all the water dries up by the time the rice is cooked.
- Cover the pot and leave to cook on low to medium heat. This way the rice does not burn before the water dries up.
If you parboiled the rice as described at parboiling rice for cooking jollof rice, the rice should be done by the time the water is dry. Taste to confirm. If not, you will need to add more water and reduce the heat to prevent burning. Keep cooking till done.
You can serve your Jollof with Fried Plantain, Nigerian Moi Moi, Nigerian Salad or Coleslaw.
For more recipes on how to cook Ghana Jollof Rice and how Jollof rice is cooked in other African countries, click here
Watch the directional video of how to cook Nigerian Jollof rice here: