Many people still consider Baby Corn to be a fancy vegetable that can be used as a topping or as an add-on ingredient in the main course.
We need to know about the health benefits of baby corn, Not only is it a rich source of fibre but also of Vitamin A, phosphorus, magnesium and iron. Due to its nutritional value, it is beneficial in various medical conditions.
Baby corn is basically corn that is harvested earlier. At this point of time, the ears are very small and not fully formed. This miniature size and look causes it to be named as “candle corn” in some of the Thai cookbooks. Baby corn is an very popular in Asian cuisine and can be found in stir-fried dishes with other vegetables. Baby corn does sometimes lack some of the health benefits of mature corn however.
A few of the important benefits provided by baby corn are:
- A power house of minerals: Those little yellow kernels contain more minerals than you can ever think of! Corn contains a large proportion of magnesium, iron, copper and most importantly phosphorus, which is needed for healthy bones. These nutrients not only prevent your bones from cracking as you grow older but also enhances the normal kidney functioning.
- Improves digestion: Corn is filled with fibre that is a huge boon for digestion. It prevents constipation, haemorrhoids and even lowers the risk of colon cancer considerably.
- Skin Care: Corn is rich in antioxidants, which help in keeping the skin younger for longer. Apart from the regular consumption of corn, it can also be applied as Corn Oil which is a rich source of Linoleic acid. Corn starch is also useful to soothe skin irritations and rashes
- Controls cholesterol: Cholesterol is a substance that is produced by the liver. There are two types of cholesterol; good cholesterol (HDL) and bad cholesterol (LDL). An increase in the bad cholesterol due to the intake of fatty foods weakens your heart and can also lead to cardiovascular diseases. The vitamin C, carotenoids and bioflavonoids contained in sweet corn keep your heart healthy by controlling cholesterol levels and increasing the flow of blood in the body.
- Prevents anaemia: Anaemia is a condition where the red blood cell count is reduced considerably due to the lack of iron. Thus, sweet corn benefits health as it is rich in vitamin B and folic acid that prevents anaemia.
- Essential during pregnancy: Pregnant women should make it a point to include some corn in their diet. Consumption of corn provides a rich source of folic acid. Make sure you clean it thoroughly and also consult your doctor in case you have high blood pressure, or have swollen hands and feet. The deficiency of folic acid in pregnant women affects the baby. Lack of folic acid in the body affects the weight of the baby. Sweet corn Benefits the health of both the expecting mother and baby. It prevents the new born from being underweight and saves from other defects. It is rich in a variety of vitamins, minerals and more importantly fibre that takes care of your body by lowering the risk of various diseases and supplying your body with nutrients required for a healthy living!
Nutritive value of baby corn
- 100gms baby corn contains
- 26 calories,
- 18gms carbohydrates
- 1gm fats
- 2gm protein
- 6gm fibre
Therefore, it’s time to include baby corn in your routine diet!