The attacks in Beirut, Baghdad, and Paris, left many in tears and streets flooded with death tolls and prayers for the injured to survive. Families and friends are mourning the lost of their loved onces. Nonetheless we must also remember how many lives are saved because of the quick thinking of first responders and the government agencies that act predominantly behind the scenes. If not for their efforts, more lives would have been lost….
Below is a list of 1o terrorist attacks that were prevented without any casualties;
1. Richard Reid’s attempt to detonate a shoe bomb in December 22, 2001 was unsucessful.
Close to 200 people were on board in an international flight. The heroics of some passengers subdued Reid and the plane made an emergency landing immediately in Boston.
2. In 2003, an FBI agent who also happen to be a secret Al Qaeda agent, Iyman Faris, was caught as he plots to destroy the Brooklyn Bridge.
About 125,000 motor vehicles, 4,000 pedestrians, and 2,600 cyclists cross the Brooklyn bridge every day. That would have been a major disaster if he had succeeded.
3. In 2004, Dhiren Barot was intercepted for suspected plots against the New York World Bank, Stock Exchange, the Citigroup Center and the International Monetary Fund.
After investigation, The FBI found that Barot planned to use limousines filled with “dirty” bombs for the attacks.
4. Also in 2004, James Elshafay and Shahawar Matin Siraj were arrested for plots to bomb the 34th Street – Herald Square subway station.
Herald Square subway is a popular station close to Macy’s and Penn Station. it’s also the third busiest stop in New York City’s entire subway system.
5. In 2006, seven men were arrested after allegedly plotting to bomb The Willis (formerly The Sears) Tower and surrounding FBI offices.
The Willis tower features 110 floors of office, retail, and recreational space.
6. A former member of Guyana’s parliament Abdul Kadir, was arrested with three other men in 2007 in connection as they plot to bomb the jet fuel line at JFK Airport.
Kadir was since then sentenced to life in prison.
7. Hosam Maher Husein Smadi, then Nineteen-year-old was arrested in 2009 for a plot to bomb a Dallas skyscraper.
The Dallas Scrapper is a 60-story Fountain Palace and is the fifth tallest structure in Dallas.
8. A fellow Passenger took down Umar Farouk Abdulmutallab before he could detonate a bomb fixed to his arm aboard a flight over Detroit.
He later confessed to the Christmas Day plot and admitted to carrying plastic explosives in his underwear.
9. In 2012, Amine El Khalifi was arrested for a plot to carry out a suicide bombing at the United States Capitol.
The Moroccan man believed he was working with Al Qaeda, but he was actually in contact with undercover FBI agents the whole time.
10. Born and raised in Massachusetts, Rezwan Ferdaus was arrested in 2011 for plots on the Pentagon, United States Capitol, and U.S. soldiers abroad with IED devices.
Ferdaus was working with and supporting Al Qaeda.
The quick decision making and innumerable hours of investigation have saved millions of lives in the wake terrorist attacks. A lot of people have saved lives by putting their own lives on the line. For this reason, it important to appreciate them for their efforts. We thank you!